Monday, September 20, 2010

Identical Panel, Different Brand?

My favorite paintings surface, hands down, is Ampersand Gessobord. They're a little on the pricey side...but so worth it, since they're magic. A few months ago however I bought a lot of these Blick panels, they're not terrible, but they have this weird canvas texture on them that bothers me sometimes...they're just not quite as magical.


Then I stumbled upon these at Art Essentials downtown:

I was instantly intrigued, a value series from Ampersand? What makes them different from regular Ampersand? I quickly inspected them only to find that they're the exact same panels as the Blick ones. With the same weird canvas texture, and the strange hang hole in the back of the flat ones, and available in all the same sizes. Have any of you had similar discoveries?

2 comments:

  1. hi sharon... while i haven't come across the ampersand value panels around here anywhere. i do have a hefty supply of the DB cradled panels (bought them on discount when they closed down our local DB) and agree wholeheartedly on the texture.

    it's annoying, and it has imperfections in the form of little blobs on some of them. you also have to be really really careful with the edges. the slightest bump chips the gesso/primer right off. i have a totally useless 16x20 that when i opened the plastic several chipped pieces came off the edges.

    i now wish i would have just bought the ampersand one's (which I normally use anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with one of mine! I tried to repair the chip with some extra gesso...it didn't really work as well as I'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete